A website as complex and detailed as the Ontario Highways website could
never be undertaken without the aid of dozens of helpful people as well as
stacks of documents, maps, books and other websites. This page attempts to
credit those individuals and list those sources consulted. Any omissions
are purely unintentional and will be included by dropping a line to the webmaster.
The sources of information for the Onario Highways website are many and
varied. Sources from both the government and the private sector have been
consulted when gathering data for these pages. A sampling of these sources
These are the primary sources for Ontario highway information used in this
- Ontario Official Road Map, 2004, published by the Ontario Ministry
- Ontario Transportation Map Series, 1988-199?, published by the Ontario
Ministry of Transportation - a set of 8 very detailed maps produced
by the MTO for the entire southern portion of the province.
- History of Ontario Highways: From Footpaths to Freeways, -1998(?), published
by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), 1966, published by the Department
of Highways Ontario
- Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401) - Centennial Year, 1967, published
by the Department of Highways Ontario
- Press releases from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation on highway
changes, realignments, construction, etc.
- Ontario Official Road Maps dating from 1934 to present to assist
with historical information.
- The Hwy 407/ETR website at: http://www.407etr.com for information
about Ontario's only toll road.
- Many others...
While commercial mapmaker's accuracy is often questionable, I have personally
verified the extreme accuracy of all maps from Oshawa's MapArt
and I find all of their products to be of the highest calibre. In many
cases, MapArt has preceeded the official governmental source with changes
to the highway system. The primary use of MapArt products and the others
listed below is for verification of the official sources listed above,
as well as for other miscellaneous information.
- Ontario Road Atlas - 2006 Edition, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Ontario Streets on CD-ROM - Deluxe Edition, 1999, published by MapArt
- Ontario Provincial Road Map, 2005, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Ontario Provincial Road Map, previous editions (1995-2003), published
by MapArt Publishing.
- Southwestern Ontario Town & Country map, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Southcentral Ontario Town & Country map, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Eastern Ontario Town & Country map, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Muskoka & Parry Sound Cottage Country map, published by MapArt
- Western Ontario Street Atlas, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Eastern & Northern Ontario Street Atlas, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Golden Horseshoe Street Atlas, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Toronto & Area Street Atlas, published by MapArt Publishing.
- Ontario RoadMaster Atlas, 2004, published by Rand McNally Canada
- Southern Ontario Recreational Atlas, 1998, published by Informap/P.T.C.
Phototype Composing Ltd.
- the entire line of MapArt Publishing's street map series for Ontario,
- selected street maps published by Rand McNally Canada various dates.
- field reports from individuals out & about on the province's roads,
including information from some of the following kind souls:
- Brian J.E. VanDommele in Toronto (Mr. VanDommele has been a
great source of information for this website)
- Stu McAllister with the City of Oshawa's Traffic Operations
- David Cyr at the Ministry of Transporation
- Brian Heiler at MapArt Publishing
- Matthew Wadley at MapArt Publishing
- Collin Leach via the misc.transport.road newgroup
- Garrett Wollman via the misc.transport.road newsgroup
- J.P. Kirby in Fredericton NB
- Stephen Kapusta in Windsor
- Michael Butler (somewhere) in Ontario
- Paul Lantz (somewhere) in Ontario
- James Sterbenz via the misc.transport.road newsgroup
- And I do know I have left some individuals off this list, and for
that I sincerely apologize! Let me
know, and I will be sure to include your name here in future updates...
- The webmaster's/author's own personal observations and notes in his
travels around the province.